AUSTRALIA + New Zealand:
A unique 2 way exchange program between Canada and Australia or New Zealand where students in Canada and Australia/New Zealand are ‘matched’, spend 3 months with each others families and attend school. It amounts to twice the experience at a fraction of the cost of a classic 3 month exchange program!
HOW LONG CAN I STUDY ABROAD?
(Visiting Australia / New Zealand)
PROGRAM NOT RUNNING 2021/22 SCHOOL YEAR
You’ll establish close ties with the family of your Australian/New Zealand host brother or sister
You’ll attend a local school where you’ll have an opportunity to try new subjects and school system
Gain new skills and confidence. Pushing beyond your comfort zone is a great way to lift your horizons and gain experience. Give yourself a competitive edge for the future
Experience the new lingo of Australia/New Zealand – adopt an accent!
Extend your network of friends across the globe!
You are eligible to apply if:
You are between 15-17 years old
Have maintained the equivalent or better than a C grade average in school
Your family meets all suitability requirements for the hosting part of the experience
Your family commits to hosting your exchange partner for the duration of their program
Are in good physical and mental health
Are mature and open-minded
Are flexible, adaptable, responsible and ready to learn
Please note this program is available at participating school boards only, a reciprocal exchange must be possible. Please inquire for a list of participating school boards
Program Details: How it Works
The first part of the Home to Home exchange starts when your family hosts your Australian/New Zealand exchange partner for 3 months from early November – late January. Your exchange partner will attend your school or a local school and become part of your family.
Host families welcome their exchange student into their family life – with all the rights, responsibilities and privileges of other family members. Hosting is on a voluntary, unpaid basis – since you will stay with your Australian/New Zealand family, your partner will stay with you! You have the fun task of showing your Australian or New Zealand buddy what Canada is all about!
The second part of the Home to Home exchange starts when you travel to Australia or New Zealand for 3 months in February to April. (Students may select the country of choice, pending a suitable and available match).
You will travel directly to your host community. You’ll live with the family of your paired exchange partner in Australia or New Zealand. You’ll attend their school or a local school and become part of their family. You will be expected to fit in with normal household routines including chores and family schedules.
Exchange Pairing & Confirmation of Acceptance
Matching or pairing of students is carried out by experienced staff taking into account age and gender, as well as academic, sporting, and cultural interests.
The aim is to obtain as close a match as possible from within the available student applications. We will provide you with confirmation of acceptance by mid-May. Please note there is no guarantee of acceptance because we are dependent on finding a suitable pairing from the applicants in Australia/New Zealand. If we are unable to match you with a suitable student you are refunded in full.
Australia at a Glance
Known ForSydney Opera House, Kangaroos & Koalas, Great Barrier Reef, Surfing
Say HelloG'day mate!
New Zealand at a Glance
Known ForMilford Sound, Lord of the Rings, Maori Aboriginal Culture, Kiwi birds, and more sheep than people!
CurrencyNew Zealand Dollar
LanguageEnglish and Maori
Say HelloHello or Kia Ora!
PROGRAM NOT RUNNING 2021/22 SCHOOL YEAR – STAY TUNED FOR 22/23!
What’s Included for the Student Exchange Program?
- Airport meet & greet and airport transfer at arrival and departure (flight is not included)
- Emergency medical insurance
- Application process, selection interview
- Host family screening and selection
- School registration in host country
- Pre-departure orientation and materials
- Arrival orientation in local community
- 24 hour emergency assistance
- Local support while on exchange & a dedicated host family coordinator while your exchange partner is in Canada
- A certificate of completion at the end of the program
Additional fees the student is responsible for include:
- Passport and Visa Fees (if required)
- School supplies, uniforms (if required), cafeteria lunch (if required) or extra-curricular activity fees
- Personal Spending money while abroad
- Transportation to and from school for some students, dependent on where the host family is located. Some students are required to take a bus or train, while others walk or bike to school. This is dependent on where the host family is located.
- Any cancellation, change or program addition fees as issued by YES Canada or the partner organisation.
Please note: An additional hosting deposit ($1800) is required until the hosting term has been completed. The hosting deposit will be returned at the conclusion of the program when the hosting term is completed in Canada.
*Please note that YES Canada reserves the right to modify and update program options, leading to changes in pricing. Please note that pricing may be subject to change. Please note which program term the posted rates apply to, if the term you are applying for is not posted please inquire.
- $500.00 application fee due with the submission of the full application. The application fee is only refunded in instances where the student is not accepted.
- Host Country Program Deposit due upon conditional acceptance. (Please note fees are specific to each exchange country).
- 35% of the remaining program fees are due upon receipt of the full acceptance letter.
- 40% of the remaining program fees are due 95 days prior to departure.
- 25% of the remaining program fees are due 35 days prior to departure.
- The $500.00 application fee is non-refundable, and due upon submission of the application to YES Canada.
- In the event of cancellation after conditional acceptance either all or a portion of the host country deposit is non-refundable (approximately $500-$1000). Please inquire for specic country details regarding non-refundable deposits (Dependent upon destination: France, Belgium, Australia and Spain have higher cancellation fees at this stage).
- In the event of cancellation after full acceptance but prior to confirmation of the host family placement, 35% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after confirmation of the host family placement, 55% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after partner company visa documents have been issued 65% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation less than 30 days prior to departure 75% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after program commences 100% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event the program is cancelled by YES Canada a refund will be given.
- Please contact YES Canada for any COVID-19 specific policy details.
*Some countries vary from the standard policy. Please inquire.
*Extenuating circumstances will be considered. All cancellations must be received in writing.