A unique 2 way exchange program between Canada and France where students in Canada and France are ‘matched’, spend 3 months with each others families and attend school. It amounts to twice the experience at a fraction of the cost of a classic 3 month exchange program!
HOW LONG CAN I STUDY ABROAD?
(Exchange in France)
You’ll establish close ties with the family of your French host brother or sister
You’ll attend a local school where you’ll have an opportunity to try new subjects and school system
Experience your local area in Canada as a tourist with your exchange buddy
Gain new skills and confidence. Pushing beyond your comfort zone is a great way to lift your horizons and gain experience. Give yourself a competitive edge for the future
Learn or improve upon your French language skills – immersion is the best way to do this!
Extend your network of friends across the globe!
You are eligible to apply if:
You are between 15-17 years old
Have maintained the equivalent or better than a C grade average in school
Your family meets all suitability requirements for the hosting part of the experience
Your family commits to hosting your exchange partner for the duration of their program
Are in good physical and mental health
Are mature and open-minded
Are flexible, adaptable, responsible and ready to learn
Please note this program is available at participating school boards only, a reciprocal exchange must be possible. Please inquire for a list of participating school boards
Program Details: How it Works
The first part of the Home to Home exchange starts when your family hosts your French exchange partner for 3 months from mid-August to early-November. Your exchange partner will attend your school or a local school and become part of your family.
Host families welcome their exchange student into their family life – with all the rights, responsibilities and privileges of other family members. Hosting is on a voluntary, unpaid basis – since you will stay with your French exchange partner’s family, your partner will stay with you! You have the fun task of showing your French buddy what Canada is all about!
The second part of the Home to Home exchange starts when you travel to France for 3 months in early February to late April.
Your program will begin in Paris with a half-day arrival orientation. You’ll live with the family of your paired exchange partner in France. You’ll attend their school or a local school and become part of their family. You will be expected to fit in with normal household routines including chores and family schedules.
Matching & Confirmation of Acceptance
Matching or pairing of students is carried out by experienced staff taking into account age and gender, as well as academic, sporting, and cultural interests.
The aim is to obtain as close a match as possible from within the available student applications. We will provide you with confirmation of acceptance by late Spring. Please note there is no guarantee of acceptance because we are dependent on finding a suitable ‘pairing’ from the applicants in France. If we are unable to match you with a suitable student a refund of eligible fees will apply.
France at a Glance
Known ForEiffel Tower, Fashion, Baguettes & Fromage, Cafes
(2019/20 School Year)
What’s Included for the Student Exchange Program?
- Airport meet & greet and airport transfer at arrival and departure (flight is not included)
- Emergency medical insurance
- Application process, selection interview
- Host family screening and selection
- School registration in host country
- Pre-departure orientation and materials
- Arrival orientation in Paris
- 24 hour emergency assistance
Local support while on exchange & a dedicated host family coordinator while your exchange partner is in Canada
- A certificate of completion at the end of the program
Additional fees the student is responsible for include:
- Airfare (While the airfare is not included in our pricing, we can help you find the best deal and recommend travel sites)
- Passport and Visa Fees (if required)
- School supplies, uniforms (if required), cafeteria lunch (if required) or extra-curricular activity fees
- Personal Spending money while abroad
- Transportation to and from school for some students, dependent on where the host family is located. Some students are required to take a bus or train, while others walk or bike to school. This is dependent on where the host family is located.
- Any cancellation, change or program addition fees as issued by YES Canada or the partner organisation.
Please note: An additional hosting deposit ($1950) is required until the hosting term has been completed. The hosting deposit will be returned when the hosting term is completed in Canada.
*Please note that YES Canada reserves the right to modify and update program options, leading to changes in pricing. Please note that pricing may be subject to change. Please note which program term the posted rates apply to, if the term you are applying for is not posted please inquire. Once a preliminary application is received by YES Canada pricing will not change for the selected/corresponding program term (current term 2019/20). Should you apply for a program in 2020/21 or further into the future the rates will be determined at a later date and you must pay the corresponding term program price according to the program term selected, early registration does not qualify you for the listed website prices for 2019/20.
- $500.00 application fee due with the submission of the full application. The application fee is only refunded in instances where the student is not accepted.
- Host Country Program Deposit due upon conditional acceptance. (Please note fees are specific to each exchange country).
- 35% of the remaining program fees are due upon receipt of the full acceptance letter.
- 40% of the remaining program fees are due 95 days prior to departure.
- 25% of the remaining program fees are due 35 days prior to departure.
- The $500.00 application fee is non-refundable, and due upon submission of the application to YES Canada. (Students not accepted to the program will be refunded $425, as a $75 home to home application processing fee applies.) Students must ensure prior to application that they meet the minimum requirements for exchange.
- In the event of cancellation after conditional acceptance either all or a portion of the host country deposit is non-refundable (approximately $500-$1000). Please inquire for specific country details regarding non-refundable deposits (Dependent upon destination: France, Belgium, Australia and Spain have higher cancellation fees at this stage).
- In the event of cancellation after full acceptance but prior to confirmation of the paired exchange partner, 50% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after confirmation of the host family placement/confirmation of a partner match, 75% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after visa forms have been issued 75% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation less than 30 days prior to departure 75% of the program fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of cancellation after program commences 100% of the program fee is non-refundable, the hosting deposit included.
- In the event the program is cancelled by YES Canada due to program changes/unavailability a refund will be given. In the event the program is cancelled by YES Canada due to application misrepresentation prior to the commencement of the program a partial refund will be provided based on the stage of the application.
*Some countries vary from the standard policy. Please inquire.
*Extenuating circumstances will be considered. All cancellations must be received in writing.